Author Topic: "antique" candlesticks holder indian/nubian figure male boy servant?  (Read 1743 times)

cindydee

• View Profile
I'm new here!
I just purchased these candle holders, and I can't find anything about them on line.
I'm not sure if they're bronze/brass or cast iron perhaps?
I did the magnet test, and it only slightly pulls at the bottom platform where they stand.
I can look up underneath and see some white color deep inside, which makes me think cast iron, but when I scratch the color off it's yellow color.
I doubt they're bronze, but maybe brass or plated?
They are not identical, and one has a slight line at the top of his shoulder, to mid arm..making me think it's cast.

Any ideas? I can't find any references on line..only have seen Nubian bronze figures.
They have an Indian sultan /raj feel , they almost look like boy servants.

I just hope they're not from Pier One Imports and I got scammed!

Any information would be great!!

Thanks !

mart

• View Profile
Re: "antique" lesticks holder indian/nubian figure male boy servant?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:36:10 am »
Looking at the bottom,, very poor casting if bronze !!  Is the metal showing around the edges a silvery color or is that a shine on the pic ??  Look more like tourist items from India or around that area !! Since many of the import companies sell items that are similar,, it is a possibility !! Where did you purchase them and what did they tell you about the items ??
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:38:25 am by mart »

cindydee

• View Profile
Re: "antique" candlesticks holder indian/nubian figure male boy servant?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »
Looking at the bottom,, very poor casting if bronze !!  Is the metal showing around the edges a silvery color or is that a shine on the pic ??  Look more like tourist items from India or around that area !! Since many of the import companies sell items that are similar,, it is a possibility !! Where did you purchase them and what did they tell you about the items ??

MART!
It's a gold color, not silver. It was just the flash from the camera.
I bought them from an antique mall, and they were in someone's booth, the salesperson didn't know anything about them. We did a magnet test and I purchased them. They're just really cool and I was kinda hoping they'd be bronze or at least plated?
Bronze would be solid though right? No white showing deep inside and in chips on the outside.. Could it be cast iron plated? or would you assume cast iron and painted to look like bronze?

Thanks so much !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:20 pm »
No, Not cast iron !! I would bet a patinated brass,, or brass that is colored to look like bronze,, if the metal under the surface is yellow !! Brass is not magnetic either !!

cindydee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »
Brass or brass painted to look like bronze..interesting!
What would the value be if I sold them?
What would the white that's showing underneath be?

I'll probably never take a risk like this again and buy something because it "appears" a certain way!

Thank you so much for all your advice and information!! So much help :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »
No, not painted,,,patinated !! Its a chemical process that darkens brass items !! If the white you see inside appears to be on the surface,, it could be a chemical reaction from the patination process !! The outside would have been cleaned pretty well but the inside is often overlooked !!   Wait till some of the other members give their opinion on your items !!
Need more than one opinion !!
Well,, if you didn`t pay a lot for them,,and you like them,,I wouldn`t really care if real or not !! If you intend to sell them !!  Its not a good risk buying unknown unless they are dirt cheap so you don`t lose much !!  Sometimes it really doesn`t matter,, people  will buy them anyway !! You can not outguess the buying public !!