Author Topic: OLD Armstrong Furnace  (Read 2324 times)

utimmer43

• View Profile
OLD Armstrong Furnace
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
Hello all,

I have an old oil furnace marked "Armstrong Furnace Co. Columbus Ohio" on the door.  This thing is quite large and I imagine extremely heavy.  This furnace sits out in my garage (underneath the stairs) and I haven't used it more than once or twice in the 8 years I have lived here.  I recently started cleaning out my garage and making a scrap metal pile, and thought about just scrapping this furnace.  But then I thought maybe it's worth more than it's weight in scrap.  And so, here I am.

Can anyone tell me anything about it based on the pics? (how old, what it might be worth)  I was kinda limited in the angle I was able to take pictures due to the location of the furnace (again, under the stairs) and the fact that I just stacked a bunch of furniture up against the open end of the staircase.  I did flip the switch on and it fired right up, but I didn't want to let it run very long with all the stuff stacked around it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: OLD Armstrong Furnace
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:43:36 pm »
According to this article
http://www.infodingo.com/consumer-products/furnaces/compare/armstrong.aspx
Armstrong was founded in 1928 and is still in business. I would contact them, they should be able to give you a precise date on your furnace. You might consider getting a recommendation of a local guy who can service it and tell you if it is safe to operate. That's pretty amazing that it is running! Armstrong should be able to tell you the weight and materials so that you can make an estimate of what the scrap value would be.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:34 am »
I'd save the door as a souvenir, and haul the rest to the scrap yard. Use proper caution if you run into asbestos.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:05:44 am »
I did a quick search on ebay when I came up empty on google. The few I saw were local pick up (for good reason) and they didn't sell. I'd check your local craigs list or even list it for a few weeks to see if it will go.  The ones I saw were selling from $45-65. Not sure of the scrap value so may or may not be worth your time.  It's a great unit for a garage or shop area.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:45:14 am »
Another thing you might think about,, if it is safe to operate,, are all the people that are restoring old houses !!  That might be a route to check !!