Author Topic: How do we know if an imari plate is authentic if there is no mark?  (Read 8619 times)

artistcollecting

• View Profile
I have been researching about imari plates since I bought one on ebay, and some articles mentioned that earlier imari plates do not have marks, and those that have had been made for special occasions as weddings. I had it valued online and was told that imari plates carrying no marks at the back is 'not the case.' Mine has the three-lobed panels crossed sutra scroll. would very much appreciate any enlightenment.  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: How do we know if an imari plate is authentic if there is no mark?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
     Imari plates have been made for centuries, and even still made today.  Most of the earlier one's will have marks, They took much pride when making their porcelain items.  Most unmarked ones are post 1950's or late mid-century one's these once had paper or foil label, that have look since been washed away.  I would also assume that some of even the earlier once may be unmarked but this would be few and far between.  One thing to note is most of the earlier pieces the Foot of the plate will be unglazed, and one would also see much wear from age.  Overall earlier imari style items are hard to come by, that is earlier century and before.   Would love to see a pic of the plate and this may help to determine the age.

artistcollecting

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:23 am »
Thanks, Ironlord. Very interesting... here is a photo of the one I have

artistcollecting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:48:10 am »
a closeup of the detail and the back

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:48 pm »
     Sure appears at least early century from the looks of the back, is the foot unglazed? hard to tell from the pic, I personnally would be a bit leary to call it early century, because usually they are marked, but for sure a cool plate.  I have my eye on some really cool mid century ones at a auction tomorrow, if I get them I will post some pics.

artistcollecting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:42:42 pm »
hope you get the item... would love to see it  :) I am not sure about the foot being unglazed... attaching here a better resolution for you to see (hopefully), am still a novice   :-[

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:49:07 am »
    Yes the foot really looks unglazed. Which basically just means it sat in a kiln, opposed to being set on feet and done in like a mass production shop.  And I did get 5 Imari plate last night at the auction, they are not old mid century at best, but got them for 5 bucks, just could not pass them up.  I will try and post pics tonight when I ge time, been a really busy week for me.

artistcollecting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:17:22 am »
Hey, that's great!  :) Very good bargain... Look forward to seeing them.  And thanks so much! Cheers!