Author Topic: Help Identifying this trunk??  (Read 1438 times)

mpeterson1981

• View Profile
Help Identifying this trunk??
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:20 pm »
I was cleaning out my grandmothers attic and found this trunk.  Would someone please be so kind as to tell me what exactly what I've found? 

Thank you,

MP

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Help Identifying this trunk??
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:33:18 pm »
Appears to be a homemade piece, with rattan fabric and recycled drop pulls. I've had similar looking store bought pieces that dated from the 1920's and 30's. I would think that yours dates back to that same period.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »
Don`t know how big this trunk is but I would agree with Rauville that it is either a home made piece or shall I say a remodeled piece !! Modern finish nails used and looks like dresser or chest hardware added to the front !!  Not sure why they added the hardware on the front except to dress it up a bit !! Padding to the interior was very popular in the 70`s !! Many vintage trunks had padded interiors added around that time !! I have never seen a trunk that had an original padded interior like that !!

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »
I have sold several of these over the years.  They aren't homemade, they are light weight bamboo & rattan what we call "shirt boxes".  Most of the ones I've had have had the interior lining intact, but quite often one of the rattan sides has damage.  Usually if they are for the most part in good condition I recover the top with period fabric, add a piece of glass & sell them as coffee tables.  They date from around the 1920's.