Author Topic: Silver Plated Tray with Markings - don't know what they are  (Read 2035 times)

pmaxxie

• View Profile
Silver Plated Tray with Markings - don't know what they are
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
Hi,

This is my first post so here goes:

Found this what seems to be a silver plated tray - took it to an antique dealer who said it was silver plated and worth about $125.

But it has some markings on the back that you can't see very well.  Took it to a gold/silver place and they said it was silver plated.

Supposedly if it is silver plated and I put a magnet on it it should stick, but the magnet doesn't stick.

Found a silver plated tray on Ebay with almost the same markings - mine has the crown and 4 letters (?) and that one had the crown and 3 letters - they are trying to sell it for $311.

The tray is not clean and the antique lady told me not to clean it as people sometimes like it like that.

Here are some pictures - any help you could give would be appreciated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Silver Plated Tray with Markings - don't know what they are
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »
Looks like a lovely tray you have there! I found your hallmark and your tray was made by Goldfeder Silver Co founded in 1932:

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_G.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:39:46 pm »
Good one, Tales! Nice tray!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:53:48 pm »
I also want to comment on polishing versus not polishing. (I've made this rant before so I'll keep it short, LOL!) I have a lot of old family silver and I consider it my duty to polish it because without maintenance, the tarnish can become hard to remove and eventually can even stain the piece. Yes it is a trend right now to leave it as we would leave patina, but in my opinion, patina benefits a piece by protecting it and it adds depth and a glow to it. Tarnish is damaging. It is corrosion. Our ancestors polished their silver and so I do too. I learned my lesson and I never use Tarn-x. It leaves chemical burns on the silver. I spend several hours polishing every six months, generally once before the holidays and once during summer. I use only paste polish and the brand I like is a trusted old one called Wright's. If you want to minimize the effects of tarnish without polishing you can wrap your silver in cellophane, which keeps the air out and to halts the process to some degree. Frankly I think that sooner or later people will clue in that this ultimately damages their silver and will go back to polishing. Polishing has been done for centuries in my family and our silver looks beautiful and healthy. I'm not not going to mess up a good thing.

Time to step down off my soap box and go polish some silver!

pmaxxie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:13:38 am »
Thanks so much for your help!

I will certainly get the polish out and start the cleaning - you made some very good points about keeping it clean.

That was my first thought - to clean it up - but the woman in the antique shop said to leave it. 

Thanks again!

Pat

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
   What a wonderful looking tray.   Since tales has warmed up the soapbox, I'll step up next with a few comments also.  Tales is right about it keeps old silver and old silver plate items in great condition to keep them polished.  The only thing I have found, is if you plan to sale the item, you have a better chance left unpolished.  Our personal silverplate items, we also keep polished, cause it looks good and makes it so you can use them on Holidays and etc.  However the most important part of keeping your silver and plated items in great condition is not just the polish, it is the care after use.  This is what ruins it the most.  First Clean your items right away after use, never let food set on the item for very long.  Hand wash your items, in warm water, and dry them right away, don't let them set in a dish drainer for very long, and let them cool to room temp before putting them away.  As for polishing, this is important, don't polish too much, the plate is a thin layer of Silver and the more you polish the more is worn off, Twice a year at the most, and just enough to get the tarnish off.  This does not apply to Silver items, but plate items.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:44 am »
Great points Ironlord, especially about cleaning! Not long ago I was given my grandmother's silverplated salt shakers, one of which had been sitting with salt inside it since about the 1990's. It was badly corroded inside from the salt being left for so long and it took a trick with a rubber band (I think this came from Hosman or Oceans?) to get it off so that I could clean it. Some food items like salt left behind can do a lot of damage.

I am hopeful that the not polishing thing is a trend that will pass, since it does more harm than good to the item.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:39:33 am »
Not polishing does ruin silver plate...I can prove it.   :'(