Author Topic: Chinese / Japanese Pottery. Jin Guang Shan  (Read 4222 times)

ryante

• View Profile
Chinese / Japanese Pottery. Jin Guang Shan
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »
Hi guys. My first post here. I've been skulking around reading the boards for awhile and this is the first time I have found something that I need help on.

I found this small pitcher type pottery last week. It does have a few chips on it but I thought it was a good price when I picked it up.

It has Chinese symbols on it, which I translated as saying "Made by Jin Guang Shan" or on the computer it looks like 锦光山造

This was translated by a Chinese internet friend of mine.

Here is a link I found to a Chinese collectors site with a similar piece, although larger, with the same makers marks. Please note that Chinese symbols have varying scripts just as we all have our individual handwriting. I learned this fact through my Chinese friend when I asked why the symbols were different. They are the same, just in a different script, which makes sense if this maker had family or hand workers doing their work.

She looked at a few sites and found some similar pieces, although they were much larger vases, but the artwork (the raised paint and birds) were very similar.

I'm not well versed in all pottery but I read some things and came across Satsuma but I'm not sure.

I've researched for hours on this already and I'm finally at a dead end. Just hoping someone might know something more.

Any help is appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chinese / Japanese Pottery. Jin Guang Shan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the group !!  Glad to have you join us !!  Sorry to be so long in getting around to all the posts !! And I am afraid that Chinese pottery is not my area but I did have  an interesting site on my desktop on the many types and porcelains !!  Let me look and see if I still have it and I will give you the link !!  Wendy and the other members may be able to help you on this !!
http://gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml  Try this site !! It explains a lot about satsuma ware !!
Forgot to say it appears that Jing Guang Shan is in Taiwan !! It looks like it is a popular tourist area because of the monkeys that are there !! Most all satsuma type pottery is marked not by who made it,, but by the town, province or area it is made !! The simple artwork on your pitcher makes me think that it is either a tourist piece or an export piece that was for the US market !!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:00:09 pm by mart »

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:57:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping, but you know how things go as a novice :D.

I had it appraised and you were partly right as far as it being an export item. Nothing too special.

It is from the 1920's - 1930's. Japanese.

From my appraiser
"The Kinkozan factory (or workshop if you prefer) has existed since the 18th century. This is an example of the last, dying efforts of the factory when they had lost all grasp of aesthetic merit and were merely producing product for the export market which they discerned had no taste or judgement whatsoever.
The inscription "Kinkozan tsukuru" translates as "Made by Kinkozan"."

So.. All in all, not was I was wishing for but it was still a good purchase I guess.

I paid $0.05 for it at a garage sale!

Thanks again for the reply.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:04:58 pm »
Well,,I did say I am no expert on this type ware !! LOL  But still, if you like it,,its a good buy even if you just put some flowers in it !!  Maybe you will find other items that we can help you with !! Join in the conversations here !! We need all the help we can get sometimes !!

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:25:12 pm »
I scored three new items today. Two of them I've already got figured out, but the third, I will probably ask about as it took me three hours to find out where it came from since there is no good manufacturers mark, but I eventually found something. I'd still like to know more.

Today, I got:

a 1897 Mettlach Beer Stein
a 1920's Standard Sew Handy sewing machine, complete with case and accesories
a late 1871 - 1900 "Reichswappen" Beer Stein (this is the pain in the rear I have questions on). I'll start it in another post.

Thanks again Mart. :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:54:41 am »
There are a few here that will love that little sewing machine if its what I think it is !! Havent looked it up yet,, need more coffee !!

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »
Here's a few pictures of the sewing machine. I have many more.

I think the pedal's cord might need to be repaired. Someone has tried to do something with it before as there is some electric tape from the connection going about 8 inches up the cord.  But it doesn't work when you press the pedal.

I know squat about sewing machines so I haven't opted to tackle it yet.

I know it is getting power from the power cord because the light works, but thats it. :D

Comes with a lot of accessories.

I think its pretty cool. I just love old stuff in general :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
It probably needs a good cleaning and oiling !!  Does everything move when you turn it manually ??  Should be no problem to replace the electrical cords !!

ryante

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »
Everything moves great :D

I just dont know about replacing the cords. I dont want to screw anything up.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »
Both sides of a standard electrical cord are exactly the same !! As long as you get each side connected to a separate lead,, you are fine !! There should be a place to attach each side of the wire !!  Just take the cover/coating off each side of an extension cord that you have cut the plug end off of about an inch from the end !!  Cut through the middle or pull it apart to separate each side !! Then attach one side,, just wrap it around and tighten if a screw type,, then the other side and you are good !! Make sure its unplugged !! Figure you know that !! Only way you will have trouble is if the exposed wires touch each other while plugged in !!
Just follow the old cord to find the connections !!