Author Topic: Frank Pel Painting on Canvas  (Read 4859 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Frank Pel Painting on Canvas
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »
My mom gave me 2 paintings today that my cousin gave her. She thinks they are both hideous, and I actually do too but this one in question actually kind of has it's own unique beauty. It is signed "F Pel." I think this is for Frank Pel. I have been searching online and I can't find any pictures of Frank Pel's work or his signature to compare mine to. He's probably not very famous. Did find a few mentions of him being born in Belgium in 1935 and moving to Canada. Someone on CL said he was a listed artist but the ad I found has expired. I will go take pictures right now. Can anybody else find anything he's done? It has kind of a 1960s-1970s feel to me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:48:02 pm by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Frank Pel Painting on Canvas
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
Did your cousin have these listed on CL and the other canadian sites and they didn`t sell ??

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »
Nope, I saw those ads too but they were someone else's.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »
Can you take a pic of the other one ??

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »
I can but the other one is by a different artist. It's of Mt. St. Helens and the side of the mountain is already blown off (which happened in 1980). It shows the post-eruption lava dome, so it might have been done just after the eruption. It's quite ugly lol.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 05:24:28 pm by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »
It may be ugly but to those that live in the area,,it could sell well !! I had a salt & pepper shaker that was of MT St. Helens, before and after !!  The pepper shaker was the part that got blown off and they just fit together !! Was a limited edition by the artist !! So there are some that collect the odd things !!
The Frank Pel is not a listed artist but there are several people that have art by him !! The tecnique in the painting makes me think that he is one of those that do starving artists sales !! Most of those paintings are done in a day and are marketed through several discount houses here as well as low end furniture stores !!  Its mostly classroom type stuff and they make their money by doing them fast !!  One store in Shreveport advertises them on a yearly sale with prices from $19.95 to $59.95 !! depending on size !!  Or at least thats my best guess !! It might sell on ebay and do pretty good !!