Author Topic: Vintage/Antique Medicine Bottles  (Read 4037 times)

Thrifty Threadz

• View Profile
Vintage/Antique Medicine Bottles
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »
I have looked on eBay for comparables for the 3 bottles pictured below.  Some sell for quite a lot, but I can't make out what makes them more or less valuable.  If anyone can give me some indication of their importance or value, I would really appreciate it.  I'm just interested in getting a fair price for them.
Details about them, include:
Triturate-Calumel and Sodium Bicarb by John Wyeth & Bro. Inc. Philadelphia;
Empty bottle is actually imprinted on the bottom with Wiggins, Drawing Ink and has a stopper that says Purex on top of it;
Papayotin by The Abbott Alk. Co., Chicago (tiny brown pellets)
Thanks!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage/Antique Medicine Bottles
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:04:16 pm »
Nice little bottles. There is an Antique Bottle Forum. There's also Diggs. I will check for you. The most valuable bottles are the colors. Medicines that come greens and blues and amber. I have many books on bottles. I have a large collection. I will go and check.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:18:29 pm »
The Wythe and Bros. is worth $2-$4 dollars. If you had the cornflower blue bottle, which is a lot larger, it would have been worth $179.00 I'm still checking the rest.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »
Are you sure it's not Higgins and not Wiggins. There is a Higgins Drawing ink. That's also about $5-$7 dollars.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 01:25:31 pm »
Any value here is not in the bottles themselves,,(i have dug hundreds of similar bottles) but it would be  that they are intact with the labels and the medicines !! Papayotin was used in the treatment of diptheria and croup late 1800`s early 1900`s !! There were no pharmacists to speak of then and this could have just as easily came from the general store as the doctor !! Even though its purity is often questionable and I sure would not want to use it in any way,, it should be relatively harmess and is a form of papain !! Same stuff that meat tenderizer is made of !!  Many pharmacists today collect these and you should find a ready market. Haven`t checked the other one yet !!  I do not think that stopper goes with that ink bottle !!  It goes with a brown jug type purex bleach bottle !! That ink would have a smaller squat type cork !!
Value on these would be $10. to $25. for all three !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »
The Abbot bottle is worth $1-$2 dollars.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »
I just go by what the book tells me. They are in excellant condition. I also had some beautiful bottles, but I had a major bottle collector look at my bottles. He told I have great bottles, but collectors are really looking for colors. Medicine bottles are highly collectible. I have many that are a lot older than these. I'm sure there are plenty on eBay. Maybe some would pay $10.00 for the three. My estimate is not far off.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:00:33 pm »
I had this on my computer already. I have better than this, It's about six in. This is an older bottle from Phila.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »
Your values are about right for the bottles alone !! But like I said,, there is more of a market and a little higher value when the labels/contents are still there and in as good a condition as these are !!  Almost every pharmacist in our town has a collection of old medicine bottles !!  Its just a better market !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:44:20 pm »
I would be VERY careful with contents.  The old patent nostrums often contained materials which are now tightly controlled and illegal for regular persons to sell -- cocaine, morphine, etc.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »
I like the old Apothacary bottles. In Philadeplia there are very few old grug stores like that. This collector is a lawyer on the zoning board. His dug every main privy in the entire area. He has the maps and connections. Now he has a collection.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:06:13 am »
My collection of indian artifacts and bottles went in a divorce over 30 years ago !! All of mine were dug or found bottles !! I knew where the old dump was for our town that dated back to the 1870`s !! Can`t do that now but had a blast back then !!  Most bottles are not worth that much but found a few that were pretty good!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:57 pm »
My husband does a lot of construction in Old City Philadelphia. He brings them home. When he digs they are like buried treasure. His had some amazing experiences. His best find was when he was building new houses in Manyunk. This is on the delaware river where most bottles were made and where Black Beard had supposedly party. He hit a landfill from the 17-1800's. He would bring spackle buckets full of them. The ones that got broken were heart breaking. He would tell me he couldn't help it. This was when the real estate market took a nose dive. I think the only profit we made were the bottles, lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »
I would have loved to hit a site like that !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »
I was scrubbing everyday. You should have seen my hands, lol