Author Topic: better pics of the jewelry box from Vietnam posted earlier  (Read 1752 times)

jaysun3000

• View Profile
better pics of the jewelry box from Vietnam posted earlier
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
that's the front, the front open, the top and the side

jaysun3000

• View Profile
Re: better pics of the jewelry box from Vietnam posted earlier
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:45:25 pm »
I'm starting to think this is not a jewelry box...that symbol on top with the handle it has 4 bats that make the border around the symbol....inside the drawers they are not soft bottoms like i am used to seeing in a jewelry box....

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is a jewelry box. I have two very similar to this one. I paid $110 retail for mine before the economy tanked, the other was a gift. Here is one almost identical to the one I have:  http://www.mjhdesignarts.com/store/item/chinese-jade-detailed-jewelry-box The front doors on yours are different, but the rest of the design is the same- little drawers inside with brass flip-out pulls, padded satin interior, corner brasses. There are actually five Chinese bats in the motif, you usually see them in groups of five, which represent earth, air, fire, water and metal and the five happinesses, health, wealth, longevity, good luck and tranquility. Want to know where your fifth bat is? It is in the handle itself! It is kind of stylized and you have to look a little closely. I was told that my jewelry box dates to about the 1960's and I think this is a good date, especially by looking at the lining. 
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jaysun3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:44 am »
You know I was wondering about the 4 bats because I've heard of the 5 bat representation your right I think the handle is a bat..have you ever seen this plaque or whatever its called below..?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
Why is there a question of its origin since it has the original label ??

jaysun3000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:57 am »
I can't make out exactly what the name is on the label I'm just trying to find out if its a company or a person or what...and the history behind the maker...the story behind this box sparked my interest is all ...I posted it earlier on a post with similar subject line...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:26:48 pm »
Well, we can tell that it was made for export since the plaque is in English. The style of writing looks 1950's-ish to me. It may be an exporter.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
I found one other item marked Thanhley Vietnam and it was a lacquer item, like the doors of your box. I'm guessing this company either produced or exported them and they may no longer be in business.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lacquer-cigarette-box-hand-painted
Also about the unpadded drawers, it is quite possible that the original lining was taken out and replaced. One of my jewelry boxes has felt lining inside and it is not original.