Author Topic: Help on old Vickers gas station sign value???  (Read 2005 times)

kbohannon

• View Profile
Help on old Vickers gas station sign value???
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:03 am »
Hi guys its me again with some more help on the possible value of a piece. I came across an old Vickers gas station sign at a junk yard, that is HUGE (5ft tall and 4ft wide) like the one pictured below! My question is what the heck is it worth? I can't seem to find ANY prices that these signs have sold for or even what they're worth. The Vickers gasoline History isn't too hard to find about the company. I'm thinking that the sign is probably worth like $300-$500 or maybe more? I'm sure it weights quite a bit and wouldn't think about offering a price to the guy until i know what its worth and if its worth the time and energy of getting it off his hands. Also the sign has metal, (iron?) encasing around it and a round tubular pole coming from the top.
any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED GUYS!!!
Thanks again!!! :)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Re: Help on old Vickers gas station sign value???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:55 am »
You are right. It is hard to find one that size, let alone a selling price! If you can't get a value here, maybe this board can help you:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

I could only find a small globe one (18.25 x 16 x 8 inches) that sold for $200.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:45 pm »
The problem you run into the larger ones...is in fact...the size/weight.  Yours looks like it is still mounted....which means how is it going to get down?

They are very collectible....but it will take that right person to come along.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:50 pm »
Yep...the bigger the sign, the smaller the demand. I recently sold a 6'-0" porcelain Mobilgas shield sign, and it took three of us to handle it. The profit was no more than on a easily handled smaller version.