Author Topic: Hello! Looking for help for my granny's Bavarian china  (Read 4485 times)

Bavarianbaby

• View Profile
Hello! Looking for help for my granny's Bavarian china
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »

My granny bought an incomplete set in NY at fortunoffs, they are porcelain, 22carat gold leaf.

The back says Bavarian, Germany, waldershof, naturally I have Figured out that the plates were made at a Chinese company in waldershof sometime after the 30s.

It also says handmalerei, which I think means handmade.

22 carat gold

The crest is navy blue with an AF inscription on the bottom right, a crown diagonal from the AF. When I hold it up to the light it looks like under the crest it says Bavaria and Maria?

**if you think you can help me, please message me your email as I will email the photos to you.

Thank you in advance, I'd really appreciate any help..even if it's just to find more information like other things I should look for!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! Looking for help for my granny's Bavarian china
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:47:35 pm »
Everyone will ask you for pictues. Front and back. I looking foeward to seeing them.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Bavarianbaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:50 pm »
I will put some up tomorrow when I get to work. Sorry my computer is all screwy and can't figure out how to do it from iPhone besides using twitter or a photo host I'd never use again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:35 am »
There are so many types of Bavarian porcelain that we need pics to help !! Especially the mark on them !!

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »
Hi, i have just signed up for this message board because of this thread ive read.

i have the EXACT same question as bavarian baby

EXACT same story with fortunoffs and everything they described is the same as the china i have as well.

AND i have pictures and as soon as i learn how to upload them to this message board i will.

Bavarian Baby, if you still read this, please send me a private message, i would like to see if you know any more than i do about this china.

thanks

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:56:57 pm »
heres a cup and some saucers

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:04:45 pm »
heres the marking on the underside.
bavarian baby was right, if you hold it up to a light, under this seal it says "edelstien bavaria" but you cant see it in the photo

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »
anyone have any idea if this is valuable? or even real?
i tired to take my set to a local antique shop to see if they wanted to buy it, or at least give me an estimated value of it.
but the guy said he wasnt interested in making me an offer, he said that it would be a tough sell and the floral painted versions of bavarian china sell better in his store.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:08 pm »
Its a very pretty pattern !!  What do you want to know about it ??  Cant tell much from that pic of the mark !!  If you are wanting to sell it I would suggest ebay rather than a shop !! There is quite a bit of this type china in the market place !!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »
The shown item is (re)decorated porcelain.

Original manufacturer was the company of Julius Edelstein from the town of Küps in Bavaria. Two mark versions are possible:

- WITH a crown, but with "Edelstein, Bavaria, Maria-Theresia": from 1924 until 1933
- WITHOUT a crown, but with "Edelstein, Bavaria, Maria-Theresia": from 1929 until 1972

The (re)decorator (in both possible cases) was the company of Franz Neukirchner from the town of Waldershof in Bavaria. The company used that specific cover-up mark from 1925 right up until 1958, which of course leaves us with a production window of between 1925 and around 1958.

I don't see any chance of narrowing down the date range, sorry.

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »
The shown item is (re)decorated porcelain.

Original manufacturer was the company of Julius Edelstein from the town of Küps in Bavaria. Two mark versions are possible:

- WITH a crown, but with "Edelstein, Bavaria, Maria-Theresia": from 1924 until 1933
- WITHOUT a crown, but with "Edelstein, Bavaria, Maria-Theresia": from 1929 until 1972

The (re)decorator (in both possible cases) was the company of Franz Neukirchner from the town of Waldershof in Bavaria. The company used that specific cover-up mark from 1925 right up until 1958, which of course leaves us with a production window of between 1925 and around 1958.

I don't see any chance of narrowing down the date range, sorry.

thank you, that was very helpful.
the coverup mark shows a crown in the right corner and when held to the light it says edelstein bavaria, so is it safe to say this is from 1924-1933?
also, do you know an estimated value of this china?

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »
I should have made it a little clearer: the original (and hard to read when covered up) Edelstein mark can be found with or without a crown. It has nothing to do with the cover-up mark of Neukirchner (which always has a crown in the top-right quadrant). My bad for not specifying that more precisely before ;)

And sorry, I myself never comment on value (for various reasons), a few of which can be found here: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/essay_value.php

fishfish2277

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »
I should have made it a little clearer: the original (and hard to read when covered up) Edelstein mark can be found with or without a crown. It has nothing to do with the cover-up mark of Neukirchner (which always has a crown in the top-right quadrant). My bad for not specifying that more precisely before ;)

And sorry, I myself never comment on value (for various reasons), a few of which can be found here: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/essay_value.php

thanks again, very helpful again.
and your essay on value makes sense too.
the only problem i encounter is when i look at places like ebay.com, i cant find any other items that are truly similar that are for sale. yes i see other bavarian chinas, but i would imagine pricing is different by manufacturers and in this case very different since this is a (re)decorated set.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »
REAL NICE to see you on Chris! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 05:43:06 am »
 Yes, Always great to see Chris popping in !!  And an excellent essay on value !!