Author Topic: Trying to find information on table buffet and server  (Read 2707 times)

kruiseok

• View Profile
Trying to find information on table buffet and server
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:27:22 am »
Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.  We have a dining room table, buffet and server set that we inherited with our house around 20 years ago.  We are at the point of selling them but I cant seem to find any information on them or a value anywhere.  We have been to a couple of the antique stores in our area and I've been all over on line but cant seem to find a match to it.  This is all I know.
The set has a tag from Grand Rapids bookcase and chair company, it is a 6 foot table with two leaves and I believe is a matching set with the chairs buffet and server.  I will post pictures that I have, if anyone has some idea of age and style that would be very helpful.
thanks

krickard

• View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on table buffet and server
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:58 am »
Wow - very nice carvings, inlays and veneers.  It looks primarily walnut to me.  I am sure that Mart (a Hero Member) will be able to give you details as to the style, and whether or not it is a reproduction.  It certainly does not look like one to me.  Beautiful set!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:34:59 am »
That's a lovely sideboard/table/chair set you have there! It looks like we are seeing the original fabric on the back of the chairs but it has been partially covered in blue, right? Actually I love the way the old fabric carries over the design on the table and sideboard, I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of the blue! If you could provide some detail pictures of the sides of the drawers, the undersides and backs of the table and sideboard, this would help to be able to date it. Photograph any hardware that is under there and show as much as you can of how it was constructed.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:01:15 pm »
Possibly Jacobean Revival?  1920s-1930s?  I have a similar set that was purchased in Pittsburgh around that time, although it is not as ornate as this.  The legs of the table look very similar to mine. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:18:56 pm »
It is indeed Jacobean Revival for the most part !! Grand Rapids Bookcase and Chair company has been in business since around 1870 and I believe they still are making furniture !! We have had several pieces posted here that they made !! Pretty good furniture !!  This set, I think, may a little earlier than 1920,, but its hard to tell from pics and I am just going by style !!  This set is interesting because you can see elements of Eastlake, Renaissance and Empire Revival as well as pure Victorian all in one set !! Since the Victorian era lasted quite a while and there were several popular styles during that period,, this is not unusual !!  I am not sure that those chairs go with this particular table and buffet although they were probably purchased about the same time !! Just that they are not specifically made to go with that table and buffet !!  Again not uncommon for the time !!  Value wise it depends on condition !!  If in excellent condition I would estimate it would bring about $600. more or less depending on area !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:38:39 pm »
Agree with Mart.  Unfortunately agree with value as well.  With the degree of workmanship it is a shame they don't go for higher!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »
It is a nice set isn`t it KC ?? 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »
Mart, I can honestly say it is one the nicest I have seen in a long time from this time period and manufacturer.  It looks well taken care of.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:08 am »
Agree with that !!  Sad that some of these do not find more favor with the buying public !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:22:18 pm »
I absolutely LOVE the table! It's a beautiful set, although I will have to disagree about the set having inlays and veneers. It appears that most of it was machine carved and the different colors are just different stains or paint of some sort. Except the knobs and the side pieces, those might be hand carved. Still pretty, just not very high quality, in my opinion. I would say 1920s. I would say that the only pieces with any real value are the table and chairs, about $200-$250 in my area for the set. The buffet and server are very out of style and items like that have a hard time selling at $100 in my area, usually about $75. People will ask for more and list them for higher than that, but that doesn't mean they will ever get that amount. I think it will be easier to sell if the set is broken up, I don't see anyone actually buying the whole set to use in their home.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:31:04 pm by hosman321 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »
I understand what you are saying hosman321, but all workmanship isn't done solely by hand.  This set had some unusual design and variations to it...typical of the era....but enough to set it apart.  That being said...it still doesn't garner more $$$.  Agree that they will get more splitting up the set.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
Probably right KC & Hosman but it would be a shame to see it split up !!