Author Topic: Tarpley - esce vertical silverware caddy?  (Read 4769 times)

kanofworms

• View Profile
Tarpley - esce vertical silverware caddy?
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:59:15 pm »
Does anyone have a notion about this ~ possibly its worth?  All my best efforts to research it, and all I get is Tarpley. 

Hello everyone.  Name is Tom.  Mom passed away a few months ago, there's a lot of items I know not of their history. 

Thank you.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Tarpley - esce vertical silverware caddy?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:16:25 pm »
There is one on this site,, vertical storage,, http://www.silverwarechest.com/ !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »
HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE....Used to seeing the wooden ones.  Can you post a pic of the bottom?  Any markings?  Dimensions?

Just making sure it is for silverware and not for writing accessories or cigars/cigarettes!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
He said this is Tarpley, and the ones I saw were made by Reed and Barton !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:50:07 am »
Mart, his post said "All my best efforts to research it, and all I get is Tarpley." which to me (in my literal/anal way) doesn't mean that it is Tarpley.  Unless there is another post and I am not seeing it. :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:09:54 am »
Didn`t pay close enough attention I guess !!
 I looked up his ESCE which didn`t tell me a thing so we need more to go on that a pic of the box !! A number of companies made these vertical units !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:57:13 am »
If memory serves me well...(no comments from the peanut gallery...LOL)  The original design referred to as a Knife Case!!!!  Believe original designs were from colonial times!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
Could be but this one is clearly a newer one !! Shape, and style including the plate on the outside looks identical to the Tarpley design !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:28 pm »
Definitely agree on that one Mart...this is most definitely newer.  The hardware on the hinge isn't old.  There isn't a lock and the truly older ones typically had locks.

They don't stay on the market long if they show up on it!  I had my eye on the lookout for one for a few years and watched carefully as they were swept up for more than I cared to spend....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:02:04 pm by KC »

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »
Mart, his post said "All my best efforts to research it, and all I get is Tarpley." which to me (in my literal/anal way) doesn't mean that it is Tarpley.  Unless there is another post and I am not seeing it. :)

This is correct.  Not a Tarpley ~ oh, but in the similar style of a 'vertical' chest, such as Tarpley or Reed & Barton. There are no markings on the bottom, the lock is merely a 'nail on'.  Possibility it is from a Williamsburg reproduction catalog?  Bombay furniture?  Thought also that it could be for silver service pieces.

The Tarpley is typically inlaid, as is the Reed and Baron ~ all are squattier, and longer.  In my searches I have included knife-style, vertical chest, vertical storage, 8-slot, etc., all to no avail.  
14" H X 8" W X 8" D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:55:38 pm by kanofworms »

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »
Each of the 6 slots is 2" X 2", the wide slots in the back are 1/2" D X 6 3/8" W.
5.5" Depth in the front slots, 6 3/4" in the next, and the rear-wide slots are ~ 7" in depth.

Dark espresso/surely mahogany finish.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:57:56 pm by kanofworms »

kanofworms

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:19 pm »
But yours is not like that one !! Different base, different shape, no shell carving on top !! Just that it was a repro is about the only similarity !!  What are you trying to find out about this ??  Age, value ???

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »
But yours is not like that one !! Different base, different shape, no shell carving on top !! Just that it was a repro is about the only similarity !!  What are you trying to find out about this ??  Age, value ???

The one I referenced in the link, showed me a dark mahogany (finish) and measurements that were very close to the one I have.  But, surely, it is not the same one.  I also was making reference to the fact that the search engines were being nice to me--getting me closer to what I have.

I'd like to know what it is called and what was its purpose.  I am genuinely curious.
What style.
Age.
Value.
*It's just that I can't find anything on it.  For being a reproduction, can it be so one-of-a-kind??
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:50:37 pm by kanofworms »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »
Have you checked ebay and the other sale sites ??