Author Topic: Tarpley - esce vertical silverware caddy?  (Read 4770 times)

kanofworms

• View Profile
Re: Tarpley - esce vertical silverware caddy?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 05:19:12 pm »
Yes.  Nothing like it.  I've look for Reproduction knife cases - even "Made in China"  argggg.  Nothing.  My mom lived on the east coast ~ mainly Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.  Her style/furniture was Chippendale, Queen Anne, and Williamsburg.  Yeah, I see knife style boxes, I see knife cases - Reed & Barton, Tarpley, and a whole host of true antiques.  Odd though, that there isn't a place to go and research (if you will) knife case knock offs.  Surely, there would be a picture of it there--and that's just it; I've been looking for a month now and nothing.  Local antique dealers haven't been helpful.

"That's why I am here on this site."  It was also recommended by a local appraisor.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »
You know....that is what that looks like....exactly the style that Bombay had when it was here! Had a outlet store within 3 miles of my home and these sold for appx $99 there. (Good friend was a VP at Bombay.)  Not banking that it was Bombay....but theirs did have hinges like that!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »
Well it is certainly something to go on.  Let's say it is.  Probably made in China or India.  Let's say it went for $99 back then.  Here I have something that is not a Tarpley or R&B in that sense.  Not an oddity, but a rarety.  Can I put a worth on it.  What say you - members?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:49 am »
If Bombay had it it would not be considered rare !!  And you could not price it as a collectable or antique !!  But,, if its in good condition, with excellent finish and and interior is good,,I would say that it has not lost value and due to the popularity of these cases might sell for a bit more than its original price !!

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
I guess that was what I was looking for.  I referred to it as rare - because I have never seen one like it before.  I have no reference for it.  If its a Bombay reproduction, you'd think there were thousands of them out there.  Bombay appears to be selling their product exclusively through Fred Meyer these days (probably good for Bombay).  I would have thought, however, that I would at least see one on ebay--but to no avail.  Understand that without a title - even 'googling' it, brought up nothing.  That's why I entitled this thread as Tarpley-esce to begin with.  All my searches ultimately took me to a picture of a Reed & Barton or Tarpley tabletop thing.

May I?  What is it???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 07:03:56 pm »
If yours has the black fabric interior ( it prevents silver from tarnishing) its a silverware case if it doesn`t and just has the plastic inside,, its a knife case !!

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »
Yes it is!  More so, a slant-front knife case.  It has a gray fabric interior.  Still haven't found a picture of it on the internet.  Possibly if it is discontinued ~ either a Bombay product or a reproduction (analog) catalog product.   

A clue:  down at the bottom edges of one of the felted slots in the rear I found an adhesive "Made in China" sticker.  Placing that in a search engine, however, brought me no closer.

KC thinks it follows the lines of Bombay product (brass hinges are familiar).  I searched Bombay today, to no avail.  They don't have a customer service department; I was hoping to find a pic through the archives.  Further, if this is a Bombay product that had to import thousands of them to stock in all their stores back then.  You'd think many would still exist in some shape or another.

Is there an avenue for knock-off (allow ME to put Bombay in that category) reproduction accessories ~ such as knife boxes and the like?

By the way, I believe my mom had this on her dining room buffet for at least 20-25 years.  **If that helps.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 10:05:16 am »
Is there a particular reason you need to know the maker ?? If your plan is selling it,, sometimes you are way ahead of the game by not knowing for sure and saying so in your listing !! Now that you know it was made in China,, price went down from a buyers viewpoint !!

kanofworms

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »
At this point, my curiosity is living large.  I now know (via Bombay customer service) it is a slant-front, knife-case style silverware service caddy.  It sold for $129.00  Mahogany finish.

I found it odd from the beginning that I could not reference it 'visually' on the internet.  I think it is an interesting piece.  I have no immediate intentions of selling it.

Thanx to all of you for helping me out.

Tom

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »
Well at least you finally know about it !!  Hooray !!!