Author Topic: portrait charger  (Read 1547 times)

Penny_Lee53

• View Profile
    • http://
portrait charger
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:20:58 pm »
Does anyone out there in AntiqueLand know what a transfer-printed portrait charger is and / or the process behind it?  I am researching a plate that was given to my paternal grandparents as a wedding gift somewhere between 1900 and 1910.  So far all I've found is a description and photograph of a similar plate with exactly the same profile portrait as mine.  In this description there is mention of it being a transfer-printed portrait charger.  

Any assistance would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Penny

portrait charger
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:19:06 pm »
It's an alternative to handpainting.  I guess you could google for "techniques for transfer print to porcelain" - I think of it very simplistically - it's kind of like a decal that's permanently baked on the surface - knowlegeable tech people will cringe, but it works for me -

And I trust you've searched for the maker?  on the back?  These plates are collected.   KB

Tim

• View Profile
portrait charger
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:19 pm »
KB is right.......it's a technique that applies a wet pre printed piece of paper onto an unfired piece of pottery or porcelain. 'When fired it transfer the print onto the surface of the piece. Can be done more cost effectively than hand-painted. Some pieces are found to be both transfer and hand painted. Usually transfer pieces will sell for less than hand painted, but not always.

So yours would be a transfer of a portrait on a charger. A charger is a large plate, like 12-15" in diameter.

Penny_Lee53

• View Profile
    • http://
portrait charger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:15:44 am »
Thanks, Tim.  Could you tell me about the gensis of "charger" and is it American or British in origin?  

Penny

Tim

• View Profile
portrait charger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 11:45:11 am »
Interesting question and one I hadn't given thought to. Here is some of what I found:

Middle English chargeour, from Old French chargeor, from chargier, to load.

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary......
Charger:
   a bowl or deep dish. The silver vessels given by the heads of
   the tribes for the services of the tabernacle are so named (Num.
   7:13, etc.). The "charger" in which the Baptist's head was
   presented was a platter or flat wooden trencher (Matt. 14:8, 11;
   Mark 6:25, 28). The chargers of gold and silver of Ezra 1:9 were
   probably basins for receiving the blood of sacrifices.

and Matthew 14:8: Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger.

The term goes back further than I would have guessed........

portrait charger
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:15:41 pm »
and in today's world, a charger is what they call the large plate that sits underneath your dinnerplate.  Popular for holiday entertaining, often in gold, silver, green, red, metallic colors.  Can be found inexpensively in import shops   Just cosmetic I think, today.  But they might have been used as a sort of place-mat to keep food from slopping onto the tablecloth.  All the courses are served on the charger, except dessert.  The servants remove the empty plate and place the next course on the charger.  Or so I heard - don't have servants - and if the charger rim gets slopped on?  No idea.  

Your portrait plate may also be called a "cabinet plate".  Meant for display.  And yes, they are called chargers also.  Just not meant to sit under your dinner plate.  If you need help identifying the maker, post back.  And check out e-bay sales too.  KB