Author Topic: U.S. Coin glass authenticity  (Read 1499 times)

carolisme

• View Profile
U.S. Coin glass authenticity
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:24:11 am »
Hi- I have been trying to research the authenticity from Internet sources of a piece of U.S. coin glass, which I believe to be original and from the Central Glass Company.  Since there are still lingering questions, obviously, I'm not really 100% positive, or just a victim of wishful thinking.

I have found there is confusion in the date it was made- 1891 or 1892, or possibly the time frame of 5 months of production overlapped the two.  However, if the 1891 date is correct- that means there were no 1892 coins even available  to have all these pieces dated so, yet that seems to be the case, the possibly the dates were altered.

Next point of my confusion is the use of the seated liberty quarter, rather than the Barber quarter-  seated liberty quarters ended minting in 1891- therefore - where are the coins dated 1892 coming from.  Then there are "experts" who are claiming that the eagle from the Barber quarter, which came in in 1892, is the authentic one used on the coin glass pieces.  This coin is different from that of the Seated Liberty Quarter in that the banner on the seated liberty is behind the eagle, and the Barber version, which also does not have a seated liberty, but a bust only, and the eagle had the banner in his beak, but it does have the 1892 date, obviously.  

A book written by T. Timmerman on U.S. Coin, is quoted as saying the glass was made in 1891,  while he is also quoted as saying the coins using the seated liberty quarter reverse eagle are reproductions.  This can't be correct since the Barber quarter has yet to be minted at this date.  And I have checked photos and info from auction houses that pieces that they have sold do have the seated liberty quarter, as well as the banner hanging behind the eagle on the reverse.  And since the real coins were not allowed to be used after the original, and only 5 mos. of firing- how are these reproductions even possible?  The molds were broken at the time the forced end of production occurred.

So, I am obviously confused and hoping somebody out there might know the real deal on the U.S. coin glass. ???http://
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:56:47 am by carolisme »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: U.S. Coin glass authenticity
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:43 am »
And your Confused ? sound's like you did your home work.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:24 am »
Can you supply a picture for my own curiousity?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:00:10 am »
It would help. & maybe answer your question.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:17:38 pm »
You would be surprised that posting a picture may help you get your answer....

Sounds like you have done alot of background work....BRAVO!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!