Author Topic: VERY, VERY, old cherry wood dinning set  (Read 2191 times)

moose1977

• View Profile
    • http://
VERY, VERY, old cherry wood dinning set
« on: July 16, 2004, 01:25:54 am »
My uncle's grandmother purchased a used cherry wood buffet table, dinning table w/ leaf and middle leg, and china cabinet. All matching set.  It was purchased when he was just a small child or maybe even before he was born. Any way, he inherited it after she passed some years ago.
It's still in excellent condition. We searched for any writing or company name on every peice of it, but found nothing. Any advise on how to research this would be a blessing. I'm new to this and have no idea where to begin.
So far we estimate possibly early 1900's or earlier. But as I said before, I need advise, any advise would help.

Thanx in advance...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:15:37 am »
:o well that's not and easy question. style and construction can say alot. is the top plank boards or solid board ?  how thick are they? do they appear to be rough cut underneath the top? can you see' circular saw marks anywhere on the boards. is there a leaf? if so any metal tracks ?

moose1977

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:39:33 am »
No metal racks, no saw marks, or rough sides anywhere.
It weighs a ton. The boards are at least an inch and a half thick or more.
With big round legs, and engravings around the top just under the top board. It has a door on each end with two shelves inside.  With drawers stacked down through the middle, and the last drawer is hidden and can be locked.
The top board is solid  

JKoski53

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/83/poem_628820.html<br>
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:38:42 am »
Hi There,
   First thing you should know is that Cherry Wood furniture is top of the line!! Cherry Wood as you mentioned is very heavy.It is built very solidly and with as few cuts of wood as possible.My sister in law and brother had a complete Cherry Wood bedroom set.My sister in law owned it before she married my brother.I believe she told me she paid 10,000-15,000 dollars for it 15-20 years ago.
   I would suggest you might take the drawers out and check inside the drawer spaces.You may find some marks or something that will help you determine the age of the set.I doubt, if the furniture is well taken care of that it has lost any value,if anything the value has inceased.Make sure that no one sits a glass, bottle or any drinking objects on the furniture.Water or liquid stains will destroy the finish without haste.Why don't you when you have the time. Visit a top of the line furniture store and price Cherry Wood furniture.I'm sure the manager of the store would be glad to give you all the information that you may need..Hope this has help some..Good Luck..JKoski    

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:15:09 pm »
:o your' talking  high value for real cherry. I suspect this set dates to the late 1880's. sometimes called late empire period.

JKoski53

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/83/poem_628820.html<br>
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 05:32:14 pm »
I understand about the age of your furniture all the more reason for being careful. By talking to the store manager about the Cherry Wood they sell will give you an idea of the present time. Your's is no doubt an antique. Do it could most likely be tripled what the new furniture is selling for today. The store manager also may be able to tell you where to look for manufacturer I.D. marks.That was only one suggest that I thought may help you but you really should check out the antique furniture web sites.There you can learn what to look for and how to date your furniture.I'm sure it is very beautiful and you will have many yearsto enjoy it's beauty and have fun at the same time by tracing it's history..JKoski      :)