Author Topic: New tat or slightly old tat?  (Read 8329 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: New tat or slightly old tat?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:25 am »
Hi Hosman... sorry but I didn't see your earlier post  ... Tat means 'rubbish'  something of 'poor quality' .. and so on.
And I also seem to have missed your comment Oceans (does this happen to others, where posts just seem to appear, or is it age-related?)... If I awoke with a tattoo that would have been a pretty heavy evening!!   ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:41 am »
Unfortunately, since there aren't any monitors or provenance nazis, you can list something just on a hunch or from what someone told you (whether it is right or wrong).  I can understand how naive sellers on ebay and other various sites do this and many correct their history when advised.  However, when a store or high number seller does this - it is telling me that the almighty dollar is what counts.

I gotta' admit I looked up the word tat in several languages to find out what you meant.  I am still confused..... Never heard a purse called a tat. (Can you explain?) I first thought of a "tatted" (needlework) item came to mind when I first read your heading and then quickly when to tattoo as well!  LOL

When I put "In fact, I wonder if this is where your purse/tote came from....just transformed" I was meaning that the artisans might have been commissioned to take this style of well and convert into a "purse, tote, handbag, pocketbook, carryall".  I even wondered it it was originally for carrying paintbrushes for the artisan!

The only other purses I have seen made of bamboo were from the 1930's to 1940's and they were "plain jane".  Simply the Giant Bamboo was cut 1/3 to 2/3 with the 1/3 being hinged to make a lid.  (I say that with respect because I don't think I could simply cut a piece to convert without some acquired skill.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:22 am »
Hi KC.. As usual some good points. And apologies to all for the confusing use of 'tat'  :D
As I mentioned to Hosman above it means rubbish, of poor quality etc. Although, I must admit, although it was a common expression when I was a lad it's not used that much nowadays .. it's one of those words that will probably disappear from use before long.
I called it 'tat' because when I first showed it to my wife she just didn't take to it, and I was wondering whether it was worth the $30 I paid for it.

In fact, I Googled 'Old Tat' to see what you might have come up with and ...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:37:13 am by mariok54 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:43 am »
Better than the one I came up with.....hehe
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 10:53:00 am »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:03:16 pm by KC »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 10:57:04 am »
Hi KC .. the link seems to not work   :(

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:15 am »
Better than the one I came up with.....hehe

Mine is certainly prettier  ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »
Well, Tang Antiques responded ... Bless them

Dear Mario,

First thank you for visiting our website.

In Chinese antiques I never seen such item, it could be from south east asia. This still looks older like end  of 19th  to early 20 th century.

I'm sorry but I do not know much more of it.

Best regards,

Jean-Luc

http://www.tangantiques.com/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »
mariok54, I corrected it.  Sorry I hit the image button instead of the link button!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 02:55:19 am »
Hi KC,

Just managed to get that link, once I'd realised it had been pasted twice !!   ;D ;D

My good lady, having seen me playing with it, has decided (without me mentioning that it might be worth a few bob) that she probably quite likes it and thinks it'll make a nice trinket box    ;D ;D ;D.

So I've showed her the two links that you guys found and she's more than impressed. Even if it's worth only half the lowest then it was still a brilliant find.

All's well that ends well   ;)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:15 am »
Hi Wayward ... You seem to know your woods, and a bit about Bamboo as well (but open to anyone out there also). Over Christmas I showed the box to my neighbour who is extremely good at making things out of wood. He seemed to think that the crack was probably down to age and central heating. He's offered to have a go at it to glue the crack to prevent it from splitting further. Would bamboo, in your opinion,  take the sort of pressure required to close that gap?

waywardangler

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:43 pm »
Bamboo is a member of the grass family.  It does take pressure and glue BUT after it is dried out like it is, it would need to be heated to be pliable.  Planed bamboo strips are heated over a flame from an alcohol lamp until they are just pliable and then straightened.  Too much heat and bamboo will scorch.  I do not think clamping this purse (like you would clamp wood) while the bamboo has dried out will correct the split but may actually cause another split somewhere.  I would leave it alone.  Trying to clamp the split together may cause more harm than good.

You have things going on with bamboo that does not go on with wood.  Bamboo has a hard enamel outer layer, an inner pithy layer, nodes (raised outside ridge) , and the inner walls where the nodes are.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:26 pm »
Hi Wayward,

Many thanks for that advice, and pretty sound it seems. I had a feeling that its properties weren't the same as 'wood', but couldn't find anything out there on repairing bamboo. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 02:18:14 pm »
Mariok Here is a site that talks about Bamboo and  humidity , how it  cracks & how to prevent cracking, Maybe it will help on how to care for your piece going forward & I am with Wayward on this do not glue & clamp. http://www.navaching.com/shaku/crack.html

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 02:28:52 am »
Thanks for that Wendy ... I never would have thought of looking there!!  ::) ::) ::)